Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Glamorous Life

Monday night, I attended the Glamour Magazine Women of the Year Awards at Carnegie Hall. It was a really fun night - at times funny, heart-breaking, inspiring and very glamorous. You can read all about the amazing honorees in the December issue of Glamour (yes, that means go buy it), so I won't go into too much detail here. But the highlights for me were Gloria Steinem, Cindy Sherman and Esraa Abdel Fattah.

The night made me think back on my college days (so, so long ago) and the seeming contradiction between what I studied (Religion and Women) and what I wore (before the siren song of gravity and french fries had their way with my abs, I never met a sheer top I didn't like). Are you less serious if you are glamorous or want to feel pretty/attractive? I think sometimes women are made to feel there is a choice between the pursuit of intellect/good works and the pursuit of beauty. Was worrying about my freshman 15 unworthy of me? I thought so at the time.

One of the honorees Monday evening made light of some of the lighter topics covered by Glamour and, in my opinion, implied that despite the good works of highlighting 13 accomplished and inspiring women, Glamour panders to a lower common denominator. The joke seemed a little forced and heavy-handed.

Some of the smartest (scary smart) women I know, are the most beautiful and glamorous (and I'm not necessarily talking about inner beauty). There's nothing wrong with that.

On a lighter note, those of you who read my blog regularly (hi mom! hi Chud!) may recall that I had a fashion dilemma about how to dress for a glamorous evening when 36 weeks pregnant. This is what I wore on Monday:

Spring '11 Knot Trench - with Helmut Lang stretch cupro dress, Chanel open toe boots and Chanel evening bag.






2 comments:

  1. Aimee, you look absolutely gorgeous, and I love your post!

    -your self-assuredly smart but aspiring to be glamorous SIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are scary, scary smart and drop dead beautiful inside and out! My brother (silently) agrees!

    ReplyDelete